I will not give you a professional analysis of whiskies. I’m terrible at describing the flavor of food and drinks. Take it just as my few notes, which can maybe help you to find something new you could also like.
Let’s start with something softer you can drink all day long. O:-)
- Cardhu 12yo
- Dalwhinnie 15yo: Soft, fruity taste turning into light smoke and back to finish again with fruit.
- Glenglassaugh 1986 MM (Murray McDavid): First whisky in a sherry cask. Very sweet with a very dark color, you would not think you drink whisky. One glass is enough of sweet but worth to try it.
- Kilchoman Machir Bay: Intensive sweet fruit with a little bit of hint of smoke.
- Nikka Pure Malt Black: It starts with caramel, but you finish with feel like you ate very bitter chocolate. Unbelievable!
- Scapa Skiren: Pleasant honey with fruits.
Something sharper, for real men. :-)))
- Ardmore Legacy: Similar to Talisker, but softer suitable for every part of the day.
- BenRiach Couriositas 10yo: Similar to BenRiach 17yo, ideal way how to save money!
- ! BenRiach 17yo: Not too sharp from a sherry cask with a gentle smoky feeling and a long finish.
- Springbank 12yo: Very spicy.
- Springbank 15yo: Partly from sherry cask makes it soft at the beginning, but soon you will get a rich and long spicy and salty taste.
- ! Talisker 57° North: Very complex, rich, and long taste. I don’t know anybody who wouldn’t like it.
And now my favorite section, smoky ones.
- anCnoc, cutter limited edition: Just drink and wait for the smoke.
- Ardbeg 10 Year Old
- Blackadder: The best about this whisky is the finish. The finish will say everything; the beginning will not even tell you is cask-strength.
- ! Bruichladdich Octomore 04.2 Comus: One of the best whisky I had at home.
- Bruichladdich Octomore 06.1: Not so super as 04.2 or 06.3 but still excellent intensive smoky taste.
- ! Bruichladdich Octomore 06.3: You wouldn’t tell smokiness by smelling, probably you would say fruity. But then you will get an explosion of all tastes. You can feel that smokiness even hour and more after.
- Edradour Ballechin 10yo
- Gerston, Lost Distillery: Intensive smoke which gets bigger and bigger. You can feel caramel in the background.
- Glenlivet Cipher: The taste is changing and is very complex. The only problem is it does not take a long time.
- Kilchoman 4th edition: It’s totally opposite to Machir Bay from a sherry cask. Smoky with a hint of sweet fruit.
- Lagavulin 12yo: Favorite one in 12yo version did not disappoint me.
- Lagavulin 16yo: One of my favorite smoke whisky.
- Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Note to my list: bold ones are those I like very much, and those with an exclamation mark are my tops. Sadly, often also very pricey ones.
Please, also share which ones you prefer and why. Winter is here so is good to keep our self-warm!